Problems creating Projects with V1 template

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Sep 10, 2009 at 9:35 PM

I am having trouble creating a project with the V1.0 template.  I was able to upload the template without a problem but the project creation process fails.  I am able to create projects with the default templates and the V2.1 template.  I am running TFS 2008 and I have a MOSS 2007 Sharepoint environment.  the error message is below

Error
The Project Creation Wizard encountered an error while uploading documents to the Windows SharePoint Services server on usstli1003.
Explanation
The Project Creation Wizard encountered a problem while uploading documents to the Windows SharePoint Services server on usstli1003. The reason for the failure cannot be determined at this time. Because the operation failed, the wizard was not able to finish creating the Windows SharePoint Services site.
User Action
Contact the administrator for the Windows SharePoint Services server on usstli1003 to confirm that the server is running and you have sufficient privileges to create a project. Also, you might find additional helpful information in the project creation log. The log shows each action taken by the wizard at the time of the failure and may include additional details about the error.

2009-09-10 15:32:31Z | Module: WssSiteCreator | Thread: 7 | TF30267: Exception: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Exception of type 'Microsoft.SharePoint.SoapServer.SoapServerException' was thrown.
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
   at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Proxy.Portal.Admin.CreateSite(String Url, String Title, String Description, Int32 Lcid, String WebTemplate, String OwnerLogin, String OwnerName, String OwnerEmail, String PortalUrl, String PortalName)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.WssSiteCreator.CreateSite(WssSiteData siteCreationData, ProjectCreationContext context)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.WssSiteCreator.Execute(ProjectCreationContext context, XmlNode taskXml)
---begin Exception entry---
Time: 2009-09-10 15:32:31Z
Module: Engine
Event Description: TF30162: Task "SharePointPortal" from Group "Portal" failed
Exception Type: Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Client.PcwException
Exception Message: The Project Creation Wizard encountered an error while uploading documents to the Windows SharePoint Services server on usstli1003.
Exception Details: The Project Creation Wizard encountered a problem while uploading
documents to the Windows SharePoint Services server on usstli1003.
The reason for the failure cannot be determined at this time.
Because the operation failed, the wizard was not able to finish
creating the Windows SharePoint Services site.
Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.WssSiteCreator.Execute(ProjectCreationContext context, XmlNode taskXml)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.ProjectCreationEngine.TaskExecutor.PerformTask(IProjectComponentCreator componentCreator, ProjectCreationContext context, XmlNode taskXml)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.ProjectCreationEngine.RunTask(Object taskObj)
--   Inner Exception   --
Exception Type: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException
Exception Message: Exception of type 'Microsoft.SharePoint.SoapServer.SoapServerException' was thrown.
SoapException Details: <detail><errorstring xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/soap/">Windows SharePoint Services version 2 templates are not supported in this version of the product.</errorstring><errorcode xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/soap/">0x81071e57</errorcode></detail>
Stack Trace:
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
   at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Proxy.Portal.Admin.CreateSite(String Url, String Title, String Description, Int32 Lcid, String WebTemplate, String OwnerLogin, String OwnerName, String OwnerEmail, String PortalUrl, String PortalName)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.WssSiteCreator.CreateSite(WssSiteData siteCreationData, ProjectCreationContext context)
-- end Inner Exception --
--- end Exception entry ---

2009-09-10 15:32:31Z | Module: Engine | Thread: 7 | TF30202: Task "" from Group "" will not be run because a prior task failed.
2009-09-10 15:32:31Z | Module: Engine | Thread: 7 | TF30202: Task "Site" from Group "Reporting" will not be run because a prior task failed.
2009-09-10 15:32:31Z | Module: Engine | Thread: 7 | TF30202: Task "Populate Reports" from Group "Reporting" will not be run because a prior task failed.
2009-09-10 15:32:31Z | Module: Engine | Thread: 7 | TF30202: Task "" from Group "" will not be run because a prior task failed.
2009-09-10 15:32:32Z | Module: Engine | Thread: 5 | The project LightScrum 2005 Test was deleted successfully.

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Are you able to use other Team Projects, or is this your first one?  If you are able to see other team projects OK (In particular looking at Documents through Team Explorer) then it is likely to be a problem with the template (I guess) or your user permissions.  If you can't then there is likely to be a more general problem with TFS integrating to WSS.  In this case verify that the WSS url referenced by TFS is correct by looking at the values in the TFSIntegration database, tbl_service_interface table

In particular there are three rows with a name value of WssAdminService, BaseServerUrl, BaseSiteUrl - check the URL value in each row points to the correct WSS server and site and verify that you can browse the urls properly.

Not sure if this will help, but might give you some more information.

WssAdminService
BaseServerUrl
BaseSiteUrl

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:50 PM

I am able to see and create other projects.  I can even create projectes with the Scrum V2.1 template.  Permsisions are not a problem as I have administrative rights in both environments.  I did have some trouble with uploading the template on the TFS server, apparently the template name is case sensitive.  I had to modify the template name in one of the config files to match the case on the SharePoint server.  After I did that the template uploaded to the TFS server but I am still unable to create projects using the V1 template.